Sunday, September 29, 2013

Bittersweet 'A Perfect Match' Review

            Ever heard of Bittersweet, a rock indie band from Malaysia? Well, now you heard it. I just listen to their old album 'Perfect Match' (i'm slowpoke, i know), my first impression when listen to this album was "wow, is this band from Malaysia?" hence, inspired me to write a bit review about this album.


Bittersweet : Pijie (lead vocal), Herri (lead guitar,vocal),
Hafiez (second lead guitar,vocal), Dinie ( Bass,vocal), Emai (keyboard)

               Most of the songs written are revolved around teenager's life, be it love life, friendship, money, or even an inspiration to the teenagers. The songs is quite catchy and easy to digest, by easy to digest, i mean the lyric is not so deep but it is quite meaningful, really. For example, the intro of this album 'A Perfect Match' is about doubtful feeling one had, so he has to make up his mind and step forward, otherwise, he will be left behind by the flow of time or maybe by his friend who had already chasing their own dream. In a way, I feel like they wrote songs that my teenager's heart can capture, and also this song inspires me to push myself forward, go with my passion and embraces my miserable life.
               There are a few English rock band in Malaysia who manage to make quite a name in the music industry, such as Disagree, A.C.A.B, Love Me Butch etc, what make this band different with the other band is the music they brought is simple, yet captivating with the rock and roll music which is easy to enjoy. Their single 'Capital E', not just listened by Malaysian but also the neighbouring country, which I regard as the masterpiece of this rock band, is really a powerful song which can lift your spirit and make you feel high like you're on-the-ecstasy high.
               Despite the glorious review, the vocal however is not that good even though the pronunciation of the english word is quite good (problem for some Malaysian like me due to different mother-tongue language), which is the good side. The rhythm is somehow lack of creativity and obviously influenced by other rock band such as audioslave.(not been a hardcore rock fan either, my taste is more toward alternative rock, maybe i am a bit biased when reviewing it :)). Overall, it is a good album to have and definitely worthy to listen to. At the time when the rock genre is dying in Malaysia, such effort to promote the rock Indie band is vital and necessary. I give 3.5/5 rating to this album.

2 comments: